Wednesday, August 22, 2012

"I want to mow, mom" + mexican lasagna.

Oh man, this girl has a thing for lawn mowers for some reason and wants to help dad mow every time he's mowing.  I had so much fun watching her try to follow dad, it was just the cutest thing. ever. 
 Oh and don't mind her outfit, she has to put her 'nap' shorts on before her nap and she didn't want to take them off today... stripes on stripes :).

*Mexican Lasagna*
I found this nice + easy recipe via Pinterest and it was pretty delicious.  I included her recipe below and wrote the changes I made in pink.  Enjoy!
Ingredients
1 (15 oz.) can black beans, drained and rinsed (or 1½ cups cooked black beans)
1½ cups fresh or frozen corn kernels
1/4 cup red onion, chopped 
1/2 cup chopped cilantro, plus more for garnish {I didn't have any, so didn't use it and it was still delish}
1 tsp dried oregano
1 tsp garlic powder
3/4 tsp kosher salt
1/2 tsp cumin
1/4-1/2 tsp cayenne pepper
1 (28 oz.) can crushed tomatoes (Fire roasted recommended) {I used 1 can Rotel + regular salsa}
**9-12 no-boil lasagna noodles
8 oz. shredded cheese (Mexican blend or a mix of monterey jack, cheddar, and pepper jack)
Hot sauce, sour cream, green onions, and/or cilantro for serving
Directions
Preheat oven to 400 degrees and set aside a 9 inch x9 inch baking pan {I used a 9x13 baking dish}.
In a mixing bowl, stir together the black beans, corn, onion, and cilantro. Add the oregano, garlic powder, salt, cumin, and cayenne pepper, and stir to coat.  
Spread a thin layer of crushed tomatoes over the bottom of the baking sheet (~1/5 of total tomatoes). Next lay out 2-3 noodles, breaking as needed to fit in pan without overlapping too much. Spread 1/3 of bean mixture on top of the noodles, followed by 1/4 of the remaining tomatoes, and finally 1/4 of the cheese. Repeat this layering process (noodles, beans, tomatoes, cheese) 2 more times. Add one more layer of noodles and top with the remaining tomatoes and cheese.  **I added ground chicken on top of the bean mixture to half of the dish for my dear. 
Cover the baking pan tightly with foil. Bake for 35-45 minutes, or until the noodles are tender, then remove the foil and bake for another 5 minutes, or until the cheese is melted and bubbly.
Allow to cool for 10 minutes before slicing and serving.


No comments:

Post a Comment