Wednesday, March 20, 2013

Happy day to dad!!

My little helper!  We made one of daddy's favorite cakes for his birthday dinner {the strawberry swirl one I have posted several times}.
I feel like I always forget to take a picture of the cake when it's done before covering up how pretty it looks...
and we thought this one looked like a heart..
Izzy girl.. loves to touch everything {just like her mom! and Sue Sue.. hmm, wonder where we get it from ;)}.
Jacob also loves carrot cake and I saw this recipe in the Family Fun magazine in the doctor's office so I took pictures of the recipe, part of it got cut off so I tried googling it in the magazine and couldn't find it.. luckily this mom saw it too and blogged about it with the recipe {thank you Holly at Nap Time!}.  I just thought the carrots were so pretty and bright orange..
And once again, I forgot to take a picture of the whole pan after they came out of the oven, so here is one piece.  The recipe doesn't say to frost them, but Jacob is a huge fan of frosting, so I iced half of them.. they were good both ways- I ate the ones without frosting for breakfast and with frosting for dessert :).  Oh and I recommend warming them up before consuming!
Bunny Blondies.. aka Carrot Cake Bars {to me}
8 medium carrots (about 1lb)
2.5 cups flour {I did half whole wheat, half white}
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
2.5 teaspoons cinnamon
1 teaspoon salt
1.5 sticks butter (softened) - it doesn't specify but I used unsalted
1 cup packed light brown sugar
1/3 cup sugar
2 large eggs
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
1 cup butterscotch chips
1 cup finely chopped walnuts (optional)


1. Place oven rack to center and preheat oven to 350 degrees. Spray a 9X13 pan with cooking spray.
2. Peel and grate the carrots using a box grater. (You want about 3 cups total.) {I used the mini food processor, much faster!}
3. In a medium bowl, whisk together dry ingredients: flour, baking soda, cinnamon, salt. 
4. Using a mixer, blend butter with both sugars until pale and fluffy, about three minutes. Add the eggs and the vanilla and continue beating on medium speed until well blended. Reduce the mixer speed to low and add the carrots. Mix in butterscotch chips and walnuts. 
5. Gradually add flour mixture (the recipe says to do this with a wooden spoon, but I just slowly added it to the mixer). Pour batter into pan and spread evenly (it will be thick). 
6. Bake for 30-35 minutes, rotating the pan halfway. 
7. Let cool completely before serving. {I actually recommend eating them before they cool, so good warm}

An 'after' pic of the strawberry cake..
Giddy up horsey and the jungle.. who knows, my girl is such a goof ball!
I thought I would put Lillian in this cute 'I love daddy' outfit from her cousins for dad's birthday, only appropriate right?  Too bad it was on for 5 minutes before she totally blew it out!  I mean, all the way up her back, all over the place.. yuck!  Nevermind that idea..
I noticed how bloated her tum was after I took the picture.. I should have known it was coming!
Wardrobe change and pass out :).
We had a great birthday dinner celebration at Gigi and Papa's, it's hard to believe it's been a year since his last birthday and when we moved to Salina! 
Isabelle did so good at singing to dad..
Me and my sleeping pictures.. just can't resist that face with her pouted lip..




No comments:

Post a Comment