Jacob and I had these really delicious filo lasagna type roll ups in the Bahamas last year and of course I was like, I could make that! So, finally, I made it! Or at least our version of it :). I totally just flew by the seat of my pants with this and they turned out pretty well- they tasted really good and that's all that matters!
1 package of filo dough {there are 2 in a box, we just used one}
1 container {15 oz} ricotta
1 C shredded mozzarella
1/4 C grated parmesan
1/2 tsp oregano
1/4 tsp fresh ground pepper
5 oz baby spinach
1-2 C tomato sauce
*You have to get everything ready before opening the filo because it dries out really quickly {the package has good pointers!}
*oven to 350 degrees
*mix the cheeses, oregano + pepper in a bowl, set close to where you will assemble your rolls
*put spinach in a bowl, you can add this to the cheese mixture if you don't mind them all having spinach, we have two options at our house ;)
*If you are familiar with filo dough or worked with it before, then you can just start layering it with butter/canola spray, then put a line of the cheese, tomato sauce, spinach down the left edge, about an inch in and roll it up! Simple as that!
*If it's your first time working with filo, I would recommend reading all the directions on the box {I never usually read directions and I was glad I did!}.
*Have a cookie sheet, plastic wrap and damp towel ready.
*Unroll the stack of filo on a cookie sheet and cover it with the plastic wrap and towel.
*Take out 1 piece of filo, while keeping most of it covered, put it on another cookie sheet and spray with canola spray, then add another layer, spray and one more piece. Once you have 3 layers, you can start adding your cheese, spinach + sauce. Roll it up and place at the edge of the cookie sheet.
*Once you have them all made, bake for 20-25 minutes or until golden brown.
I also made these garlic knot rolls that we found via pinterest and they were pretty delicious. You make them from a pizza dough and I used our recipe that I posted a few weeks ago.
Look how pretty- this is before they went in the oven.
Izzy girl loved the rolls, she had to sit in the big girl chair to eat it- she has been so funny lately, she wants to sit in it by herself, she came up to me and said, 'mommy, out' and was trying to push me off the chair. We compromised, I would give her bites if she would sit next to me :).
Awww, she loves Lucy and says, 'awwwwe' and gives her hugs, it's pretty cute.
It was fun to make 2 new recipes and have them be a success!
No comments:
Post a Comment