Thursday, April 26, 2012

:: some good foods ::

I had a fun day of cooking... I started my day with a nice run and needed a post/recovery smoothie and this was perfect.   
  
Blueberry Smoothie
1 frozen banana 
1 handful of blueberries
1 scoop {1/3 C} protein powder
1/2 T honey {it's good without too}
8 ounces water

*I always add either some flax seeds or whole grain flax meal, just like 1/2 - 1 tsp
*Something I have started doing and have found helpful {may be common sense, but I just started doing it a few months ago}, when your bananas are ripe/to your liking, peel, break into a few pieces, put them in a ziploc and put in the freezer- it makes it so much easier and faster to just throw in the blender!

Thank goodness for Izzy girl's Easter eggs, they turned into this delicious egg salad {yes, I eat them after they've been dyed} and great lunch.  I found the recipe on Pinterest {imagine that, I know}, it's pretty much your typical egg salad, but I needed a refresher on the ingredients. 

Deviled Egg Salad
1 dozen hard-boiled eggs
1/3 C mayo
2 T dijon mustard {spicy mustard}
2 T sweet relish
1 T parsley
1/2 tsp paprika
*I added some chili powder for some extra spice/flavor
salt + pepper, to taste

Peal the eggs, cut in half, and remove the yolks.  Put yolks in a bowl, chop egg whites and put in a separate bowl.  Use a fork to smash the egg yolks, then combine with mayo, mustard, relish, parsley, chili powder and paprika until smooth.  Stir in chopped egg whites.  Taste and season with salt + pepper.
*The recipe put the egg salad on bread for more of a sandwich, but I didn't feel like having bread so I just had it with some spinach and wheat crackers... yum.

Jacob and I found this recipe on Pinterest and had been wanting to make it, so we finally did and it was so good and pretty simple to make.  It was fun to try something new and eat new flavors.

Healthy Mexican Sweet Potato Skins
Here are her ingredients from 'pinchofyum.com', {click on the recipe to get the instructions} I just wanted to include them so I could tell you a few little tid bits from what I did... 

Ingredients
  • 3 medium sweet potatoes
  • 1 can corn, rinsed and patted dry *I used frozen, so either will work.
  • 1 can black beans, rinsed and drained
  • 1 tablespoon butter
  • 1/2 yellow onion, chopped *I didn't add the onion, Jacob is not a fan.
  • 2-4 canned chipotle peppers in adobo sauce, minced or pureed *I only used 1 can and that was plenty, they are pretty hot {spicy hot}, almost too hot for Jacob to eat.. they did add a unique flavor.
  • 1 ounce light cream cheese 
  • 1/4 cup light sour cream *I used nonfat plain Greek yogurt.
  • 1 teaspoon salt (+ more to taste)
  • 1/2 cup cilantro, roughly chopped
  • 6 tablespoons shredded cheese (Pepperjack, Cheddar, Colby Jack… anything will work) *I sprinkled cotija cheese on top {the white crumbly stuff} and it was delicious
I also made some Mexican rice, just from the box {making it from scratch next time!}, but it was a good addition to the meal.
Oh and again, a glass of Prosecco :)!
There is nothing like a day of good homemade food!  It made me happy.  Hope this puts that cookin' itch in ya! ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment