I would have put 'biscuits + veggie gravy', but I didn't actually make the biscuits this time, just the gravy. I have been missing and wanting to duplicate this veggie gravy that I love from one of my fav breakfasts spots in Lawrence, 'The Mirth Cafe'. I have to say I got pretty close this time :)!
{adapted from soursaltybittersweet- she included biscuits if you need a recipe}
2 T butter {I used coconut oil}
1/2 tsp black pepper
1 tsp chili powder
a pinch of dried thyme and/or parsley
1 1/2 C + 2 T milk
1/2 C veggie broth
2-3 T cornstarch
salt to taste
*melt your butter/coconut oil in a large skillet
*add your spices
*add milk {except for the 2 T} and veggie broth, stirring constantly
*make a slurry of cornstarch and the remaining 2 T milk. make sure the mixture is smooth, then add it to the gravy, still stirring constantly.. it will start to thicken. Cook for 5 minutes or until thick enough for your liking.
*after tasting, I added some wonderful spices from Penzey's- Arizona Dreaming {one of my favs, for everything!} and Hot Curry Powder {also pretty awesome}... they both helped make the gravy delicious, highly recommend those spices!
No comments:
Post a Comment