Friday, December 23, 2011

: DIY :: Christmas Ornaments :

I saw these ideas on the wonderful world of Pinterest and thought they were such great + simple little gift ideas.  I bought the plain clear glass ornaments at Hobby Lobby (for 50% off, such a deal) and that was about the only the I had to purchase.. you can get a smaller or bigger size, I got the medium size and they worked out perfect.

I made this one for Abbey who got married in August last year;
it is a mix of her wedding invitation, program & rehearsal dinner invite, and I just cut the lines apart, rolled them up and stuck them in the ornament (simple, right?).  I did find that I wanted more of the words on the roll to show, so I started to stretch them out a little as I rolled them on the pencil and it seemed to work + I liked the look of it much better. 
I just added a bow to the top that went with her wedding colors, but you could hang it by a ribbon, or do whatever you want :).  I really wish I would have seen this idea before all my friends' weddings so I would have kept their invites and made them one, because it's such a great way to be able to display those special things that just sit in a book somewhere.  Sorry friends!
You can probably tell what this is.. Izzy girls' wonderful little hand.. I just love her little hands!  So this was kind of a chore, I was like, oh yeah, we can do that, no problem.. umm, getting a 1 yr old to put her hand in paint and put it perfectly on a round slick surface without squishing it all around, close to impossible!  I tried it first by myself (twice) and that was a total mess of red paint all over both of our hands, so we finally mastered it with dad's help. 

After some trial and error, we found the easiest/best way was to: smear paint around on a paper plate, put Iz in her high chair, dad hold both hands up + dip one of them in paint, try to keep her fingers spread apart, turn her hand palm face up (we tried putting it face down on the ornament, but she smeared her fingers around more that way), then I carefully set the ornament in her hand and lifted it off. 
We made 5 and this one turned out the best; the others were a little more smudged from her moving her fingers, but you could still tell they were her hand and that's all that mattered to me! I added a little 'Merry Christmas! <3 Isabelle 2011' on the back with permant marker and tied a red ribbon through the top to hang it by (I hadn't done that yet when I took this picture).

If you want to try this with your little and need extra pointers {or of course, have done it and have pointers that worked for you}, let me know!

*I apologize I am not caught up and didn't get this posted before Christmas so you maybe could have made one if  you wanted to... next year :).







No comments:

Post a Comment