Tuesday, June 28, 2011

First attempt at cake balls...

 Cake balls and pops seem to be the new thing these days and I had been wanting to try and make them for a while, so I thought the showers were the perfect opportunity... let me just preface this with, there are a lot of steps and waiting, so they are time consuming, but delicious!
Red Velvet:
*Make the cake as normal and let it cool (low fat option: 1 C water, 1/3 C apple sauce + 3 eggs and reduce bake time 1-2 mins) 
*Crumble into bowl and add 2/3 jar of cream cheese icing (the whole jar makes them too sticky)
*Mix together and form into balls (tip: let the dough rest a little while before rolling to prevent sticking)
   *If you are going to add sticks to make the pops, you would do that now and then put them into the freezer (tip: dip the ends of the sticks into melted chocolate and then into the balls)
*After they are pretty solid (a few hrs in the freezer), dip them in candy coating (I used white/vanilla) and let dry on parchment paper or stick them into a piece of foam covered with plastic wrap if you do the sticks

The finished product... they definitely weren't perfect, but they still tasted good... I am determined to make them look better the next time I make them.. practice makes perfect.
I also made some peanut butter ones from a recipe I got from a friend at work and they are also wonderful and so healthy, check these ingredients..

2 sticks of butter (eek, I know)
2 C creamy peanut butter
5 C powdered sugar

*Mix butter and pb until smooth
*Slowly add powdered sugar a little at a time, texture should be similar to sticky play-dough
*Form into balls and put in the freezer for a few hours, then dip into candy coating (I used chocolate) and let dry
For the candy coating... you can buy the Wilton's candy melts at Michaels (they had a lot of colors) or Hobby Lobby (and use coupons.. bonus) or just use almond bark that you find at the grocery if you just want white or chocolate colors.

No comments:

Post a Comment