Tuesday, February 15, 2011

Blue Grotto's Do-it-Yourself Dough

Jacob and I made pizzas for dinner and his happened to look a lot like a heart!
We tried a new pizza dough recipe (I usually make my aunts) that is from Blue Grotto in Kansas City, it was delicious!  If you like to make pizza, you have to try it!

*makes 1 lb dough, enough for 2 (13") thin crust pizzas
3/4 C warm water
1 packet active dry yeast
2 C all purpose flour (I used whole wheat flour)
3/4 tsp salt
1 T honey (sub agave nectar if you like (I did))
2 T olive oil

Stir together water and yeast and let stand until yeast dissolves (about 5 mins).
In food processor or mixer with dough hook (or let's be honest, you can stir it yourself if you put your arm into it) brush bowl with a little bit of olive oil and add flour, salt and honey/nectar. 
Pour in yeast and olive oil; process ingredients until dough forms a ball.
Transfer to floured surface and knead until dough is smooth, adding flour by the T if the dough is too sticky.
Brush a bowl with olive oil (I just used vegetable oil spray) and turn dough ball in it until lightly covered with oil.
Cover dough with film (or put on a plate and put bowl on top of it) and set aside in a warm, draft-free area until doubled in size... I like to stick it under the oven light, it rises pretty fast.
Punch down the dough and spread on your floured pizza stone with your fingers or rolling pin, starting from the center and moving toward the edge.
Add you pizza sauce and toppings and voila!  Enjoy!!  

No comments:

Post a Comment