Thursday, July 18, 2013

:: Fast + Easy Granola Bars :: Baked Mac ::

I found this recipe for Fast + Easy Granola Bars, they are very similar to our energy balls, but a little different, so I wanted to try them- you know, change it up a little.
The bars were really good, but the balls just seem easier to grab and go, so I think we will stick with those, but here are the ingredients and details in case you would like to try them!

2 cups quick oats
1 cup all natural peanut butter 
1 cup honey
1 cup dark chocolate chips
1 cup dried cranberries
1 cup ground flax
sliced almonds (optional)

Mix all ingredients together and stir until well blended.  Spread mixture and roll out onto a cookie sheet or pan lined with parchment paper and refrigerate for an hour or so.I cut them with a pizza cutter after they had set for a little while in the fridge.  Wrap each bar up in some parchment paper or wax paper to keep them fresh.

Of course I failed to take a picture of the finished bars after they were out of the pan, but here is Izzy girl {yes, in her cheerleading uniform} helping me roll them out and after I cut them.  My little helper!


I had been wanting to make baked mac and need to get rid of some cheese so I looked for one on Pinterest and followed this recipe.
Creamy Baked Mac + Cheese
  • 4 Cups Elbow Macaroni
  • 6 Cups Shredded Sharp Cheddar Cheese {I did 4 C of sharp cheddar and 2 C pepper jack}
  • 2 Cups Cubed Colby Jack Cheese
  • 4 Tablespoons Butter
  • 4 Tablespoons Flour
  • 2 Cups Milk
  • 2 Teaspoons Pepper
  • 1/2 Cup Italian Style Bread Crumbs
Directions:
  1. Preheat oven to 350 Degrees
  2. Boil the elbow noodles until the are al dente - it is important not to overcook the noodles
  3. Create a roux using the butter and the flour {slowly stirring the butter and flour until it starts to brown}
  4. Add the milk and the pepper and keep on medium-low heat until the mixture begins to thicken
  5. Add the shredded cheddar cheese a handful at a time stirring the entire time. Be sure that the cheese is completely melted and mixed in before adding more cheese to avoid clumping
  6. Stir in the noodles making sure that every noodle is coated
  7. In a deep baking dish begin layering the coated noodles and the Colby Jack cheese. Begin with a layer of the sharp cheddar coated noodles, then a few cubes of Colby Jack cheese and then the coated noodles again until the dish is full. Make sure to end with the cheddar coated noodles.
  8. Evenly sprinkle the breadcrumbs over the top.
  9. Bake for 45-55 minutes or until the cheese on the top begins to brown


No comments:

Post a Comment